Thread: Tang advice
View Single Post
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:31 AM   #20
hammertime55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
as MCGYVR suggests your best route to nutrient control at the moment will be water changes.

IMO you should consider thinning your stock. To much of a good thing as they say.

I think I missed where you mentioned what other gear you are using to help clean the water - there are many ways to reach lower numbers.
I have a protein skimmer. I'm running 2 Jabeo SW-8 pumps, just added the second one this past week. I have them set on the wave 1 setting at the lowest speed.

Should I add a reactor with pellets? I've read where that helps. I don't really want to add a refgium because I don't want to add a light in the sump area. It's only a 4' space and I've already got alot of electrical running this setup on one circuit. But that is an option also.

As far as reducing the livestock. Seems to be doing that on it's on. So far 1 blue damsel and 1 green damsel died this past week and another Blue is staying in what we call coffin corner. (Bottom corner behind rocks) It is breathing heavily and not eating so I don't think it's going to be long before it's gone. So If he dies I will have 4 Greens and 2 Blues and a lawnmower bleenie, 7 peppermint shrimp. Have no idea on count on crabs and snails but at one time there where 20 snails and maybe 10 crabs. I have ordered 100 snails, they should be here in a couple days.

The end game here is to turn this into a reef. Obviously I have to get the chemistry right before jumping in. I have added 3 polyps so far and planted them in the sand bed. One of them is doing very well, 1 is doing ok, and 1 is probaly dead. They have been in the tank about 3 weeks or so.

Thanks everyone for the input, please keep it coming. I truely love this endeavor and take critism well.

hammertime55 is offline   Reply With Quote