View Single Post
Unread 03/07/2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Chocobo
Registered Member

Blue Spotted Puffer being harassed by Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse...

Hello!

I have a Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse that my GF absolutely thought was gorgeous and had to have. He was in the tank for ~2 days before I added my blue spotted puffer.

The puffer was out and swimming around the tank last night while the wrasse was sleeping/hiding but now that it's day and the wrasse is out the puffer won't come out of his little cave he chose in the live rock.

I did reach down with some tongs and fed the puffer some mysis and he ate it up. It didn't take him long at all to figure out the tongs meant food and he ate well.

That said I don't want to stress the puffer out if the cleaner wrasse is harassing him. I do understand how the cleaner wrasse is supposed to 'clean' the fish so to speak - but the type of nipping/biting this wrasse is doing to the puffer doesn't seem beneficial and seems like harassment.

When I was feeding the puffer I managed to get him to come out of his cave with food/the tongs but as soon as he saw the blue streak wrasse he would go back into his hiding spot in a hurry.

It's my understanding that puffers are not easily intimidated and will defend themselves/stand up for themselves but with him being so new I think he's a bit timid.

I have isolated the wrasse to a floating breeder for now while I decide what to do.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7638.jpg (77.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7636.jpg (28.0 KB, 46 views)
Chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote