View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2017, 11:41 PM   #9
Ramracer32
Registered Member

A little update. I changed pretty much everything. A while back i added a anemone to the tank and thought i covered my power head pump good enough, but 3 days in the anemone found a way past the cover pad and got chopped up pretty much causing the everything to die except the birds nest and the plate coral and clownfish. I wanted to change stuff up and this was the time to do it. I got new reef saver rock to make a better scape and changed the sand to a more fine sand so the cleanup crew could move around a lot better also to stop the gunk from getting caught up in the sand. I also added chaeto to the sump with a light and that stuff has grown crazy while keeping the nutrient lvls low which i like. I was hand dosing my alk and ca and can say that was a big problem. the tank was constantly swinging fighting to keep my lvls normal so i bought the jaebo 2 dosing pump and sure glad i did. Im able now to keep ph 8.3 alk 8.7 and ca 440. I also am doing more of a lps tank with a few sps frags which has made the tank pop more.

because my sand was dry and rock dry i went ahead and asked the local reef store to scrape off some coraline algae so i could seed my tank and hopefully can start to see that stuff grow.

Ive been doing a lot of reading and with a nano tank trying to keep everything stable i am going to try something a little different. I wont be doing any water changes. every time i did my alk and ca would be a bit off then i would have to fix it back to where i want so no more swings for me. the chaeto in the sump along with my protein skimmer is my nutrient export and working a little too well and have been adding aqua vitro fuel to help get the trace elements back into the water keeping coral bright happy. very happy with how things are going now and each month really learning a lot about keeping a reef.

For whatever reason the pictures never turn out how bright the corals are and im always catching too much blue light also they are sometimes sideways if anyone has a cure for better pictures im all ears.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (53.6 KB, 17 views)
Ramracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote