View Single Post
Unread 08/24/2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I know for a fact that not all reef tanks crash as there is a guy on here who's tank is over 40 years old. I can't remember his name but clearly you can keep a tank for a long time.
That would be me. My reef has never crashed even though the power has gone out for days a few times, 24 urchins that I collected all spawned at the same time turning the water into Half and Half, a large 12" carpet anemone croaked and fouled the tank, I went to Germany and left someone in charge who let the water level drop 7" etc.
I feel that it depends on a few things, most important your substrait. If you use a DSB the tank has a lifespan because DSBs can't be maintained which is the reason there are very few of them over 10 years old.
Many tanks live on the verge of crashing all the time for various reasons. I also feel that regular infusions of bacteria from the sea is important as I have always done that, I do realize many people don't live near the coast and can't do that.
A lot is said about testing and in a new tank that is important but as the tank ages and you get more experience (like ten years not 6 months) it gets less important as you will be able to tell the parameters just by looking at the animals. If the fish are spawning, the corals are growing, the parameters are good, and if they are not, who cares?
I personally have been at this all my life and I am old. I don't do regular maintenance any more because as I said, I know when something needs attention and I don't look for trouble. I do change water but only 5 or 6 times a year. That is my tank, all tanks are different.
My last thing is food, I feed a lot of live food specifically live blackworms, the rest of their diet is frozen clams or mysis. I feel this keeps them in breeding condition and in that condition they "never" get sick so I don't have to worry about a hospital or quarantine tank.
But as I said, that is after many years of enjoying this hobby.
I did have my share of problems and lost hundreds of animals along the way.
Good luck with your new reef.

Quote:
There is no situation that can not be traced back to you at fault. Even global warming get a back up power supply. If you are really serious about it you will have a back up system for everything.
I also agree with this.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote