View Single Post
Unread 02/03/2008, 11:39 PM   #22
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brackishdude
Do you think you got lucky in finding the right dimensions/geometry to allow good results for your pump (both during operation and ,perhaps more crucially, at dry startup), or do you think the range of successful flow rates is wide?
The range is very wide. I have tested the sytem with 1" standpipes and with the current 1.5" standpipes. The flow of the system has ranged from less than 1000 GPH to around 3000 PGH. I would call that a wide range.

Quote:
Put another way: It must be tough to generate enough flow at startup to flush out all of the air, while still slowing down the ensuing siphon sufficiently to prevent drainage of the box and creating a never ending cycle of dry startups.
No, if the flow is low enough for a siphon NOT to start, then the flow will be silent. If the flow is high enough for the open channel standpipe to gurgle, then it is high enough to cause a siphon in the closed standpipe.

Quote:
You need lots of flow at first, but restricted flow once siphoning.
No, the flow volume is constant and dictated by the return pump! See the above answer

Quote:
Again, the system may be quite robust, I just wonder what the limiting flow rates are, especially for a no-worry dry start.
The limiting flow rate WHILE still maintaining redundancy would be a full siphon on BOTH standpipes. This volume is several times what a similar DURSO or other open channel standpipe system could sustain, let alone quietly. You would still have FAILSAFE capacity in the 3rd standpipe.

Quote:
I don't expect you to know, obviously, but what are your thoughts?
Did that cover it?