Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 06/24/2018, 09:58 PM   #54
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I wanted to elaborate a little more on some of the ideas, and methodologies for this aquarium.

First, let me say I wasn't a particularly good reef keeper. I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't up to it. It was too much like work to me. I wanted something beautiful to look at, but easier to do. So I tried something different-a fresh water planted tank. I had some success and I learned a lot about a whole, new side of aquarium keeping. I had a beautiful, planted display, and all was right in the world…

But, eventually I got the salt water itch again. This time, wouldn't it be cool to combine what I learned on both sides of the hobby? And do I really need to try to keep the most challenging creatures in the sea? How about something easier?

Algae is Mother Nature's way of telling us we need plants. Why argue? Why do we struggle against Nature? Wouldn't it be better to work WITH Nature? Using plants to balance with animals is an elegant solution to the biggest challenge of aquarium keeping-nutrient control. Algae scrubbers and refugiums are great, but why not put the plants right in the display? Why not make THEM the display? And couldn't we learn more about Nature if we used IT, rather than man-made devices?

What I wanted was just one big tank, chock full of nature, and low on external devices. I want to see if it is possible to assist nature in building an ecosystem in a box. I provide light, water movement, temperature control, food input and export. Nature does the rest. So, rather than buying a gizmo to solve a problem, I ask myself, how does Nature do it? How can I facilitate that natural process? How does one process influence another? How does Nature coordinate all these processes in functioning ecosystems?

So much to learn! I believe this naturalist approach to aquarium keeping has a lot to teach me.

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote