Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 07/19/2018, 06:25 AM   #95
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I have an alternative reason for asking, LOL. I had an overhang section on my oyster reef fall last night...so I'll either try and use glue that works underwater to fix it or maybe I'll pull it out and fix it. I'd rather not do the latter because I don't want to kill the life that has grown on them the past year (tunicates, etc.). Have you tried gluing stuff underwater? Folks on here recommend super glue or a super glue/epoxy/superglue sandwich for gluing rock work underwater.
Kevin, the glue/epoxy/glue sandwich works VERY well and I'd highly suggest you try this method. If you do it right (i.e., spread the epoxy into crevices, etc.) then the superglue will provide the temporary fix and the cured epoxy will create a very strong bond. The combo can be quite difficult to remove. There is a chunk of epoxy on my overflow box that I am too scared to remove for fear of cracking the acrylic. Maybe I didn't think that one through enough... :0)

The absolute strongest method you can use is concrete (e-Marco 400) but this is really only an option if you're including real rock. I have found that it's extremely difficult to separate rocks bound with e-Marco. In fact, the rock will break before the bond itself.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote