Thread: dino experiment
View Single Post
Unread 01/19/2011, 09:18 AM   #1
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

dino experiment

I'm posting this is the chemistry forum because I've read the most about Dino's in this forum.

I've been dealing with Dino's for about 6 months. The battle has waned but I need to get rid of them. My problem is the I suck up all the snot algae that it produces...but my sand and live rock still release bubbles when the halides come on...and these in turn keep the brown snot algae coming back.

I raised my alk up to 9..and recently got dosing pumps to keep it steady at that level. My Ph ranges from 8.1-8.3. On Jan. 3rd I set up some BRS biopellets, about a cup...so its been two weeks so they'll probably start kicking up the bacteria. I run a XP-1000sss skimmer. I'm thinking perhaps uping the skimmer to a xp-2000 to get as much crud out as possible. Would this increase the pulling of organics and the biopellet effluent? I've yet to start running carbon again because I wanted the biopellets to activate (btw, I had no bloom when using the biopellets because I have the outlet going exiting straight in from of my skimmer intake.)

As for the most efficient way of getting the brown algae crud out of my tank...My sand bed gets it the worse, flow doesnt seem to be the problem as I have 2xmp40w running at bout 65%..was at 75%, but I wanted to lower it a little. I can see the snot algae just blowing in the current. for the sand I got a gravel cleaner and really go down into the sand and remove any particles I can. The rocks on the other hand are harder to get the algae off of. I currenly just use a toothbruch and brush the rocks suspending the algae into the water column where i hope it goes into the overflow. I'm thinking about adding a filter sock to the end of my overflow pipe to catch any particles suspended in the water. but besides this...how do other people get the algae off their rocks?

I've tried the 3 days out, elevated Ph, running GFO and ROX carbon. This helped when my tank was fully blown up with Dino's, but at this stage does little to make it go away. I'm taking the approach to just aggressivly remove as much as I can...heavy water changes...and more "efficient" skimming to remove the organics that, what i read, dino's leave in the water column.

Any other types of suggestions regarding Dino success would be appreciated as I've read most of the threads about Dino's in RC and other's seem to be having the same problem. Thanks

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote