View Single Post
Unread 10/12/2017, 04:44 PM   #2726
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetonet View Post
Do you know why you are getting cyano in the first place?
The time I got it is when I just finished the 14 days cycle.
From NO3 of 100+ppm and PO4 of 0.38ppm to ULNS in 3 days - without any water change at all.
I think you want to look carefully at your actual organic balance in your system.
Peel back all the layers of cheatos, mechanical filtration and whatever else you have going on to control your nutrients.
Objectively see your input and output of nutrients with rate of tank water turnover ratio.

Anyway I have ramble on too much now.
Do I know why I got cyano?
I would assume it has to do with my no3 and amino additions after my nutrient reduction.
Personally, I don’t believe there is a unified theory as to why cyano shows up, nor a nutrient ratio that will actually cause it. There are just too many variables and chemical processes going on in a reef to pinpoint any one cause.
I’m not sure I know what ‘peel back the layers of cheato, mechanical filtration and whatever else you have going on to control your nutrients.
Objectively see your input and output of nutrients with rate of tank water turnover ratio.‘ means..
Once my fluconazole treatment is done, I will do a good clean out of detritus in my frag tank and fuge, removal as much cyano as I can from the frag rack and add some carbon. In the mean time, my cheato will be working out a new balance now that the bryopsis is gone.
If the cyano remains with my aminos and no3 additions stopped, I will does a slime remover... or maybe try wally’s Method of zeobak and coral snow.. although I already use AF’s version of coral snow- Build..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote