View Single Post
Unread 12/31/2017, 07:26 AM   #5
emilese
Registered Member

Skimmer still overflowing

I completed the vinegar bath and RODI rinse and put the skimmer back on the DT system. It was STILL overflowing!

So, I figured that it is still not broken in. To further try to break it in without it creating a huge mess, I thought I'd break it in with dirty water from my QT tank. I did a water change on my QT tank which is currently housing a multicolor angel and skunk cleaner shrimp. I took the dirty water and put it in a bucket with the skimmer. I let it run for a few days. It removed some waste from the water but, did not really produce skimmate and it did not overflow.

At this point, I thought it was broken in so I put it back into the DT system (in the 2nd chamber of the AIO back filter) and it is STILL overflowing!!

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Why is it working fine with the QT tank but overflowing with the DT? Could it be that I have a lot of dry rock in the DT that is causing it to go crazy? In aquascaping the DT, I used some glue and Aquaforest StoneMix to secure the rock. Could that be the issue?

If so, how long will it take for the glue and/or AF StoneMix to stop the skimmer from going crazy? Or, do I need to chill and once the DT finishes cycling, the skimmer should be fine?

Last edited by emilese; 12/31/2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Corrected some grammar
emilese is offline   Reply With Quote