View Single Post
Unread 07/28/2016, 12:06 PM   #8712
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
hmmmm...

There is research that indicates that algae changes the environment's chemistry to suit their optimal growth. That may or may not conflict with what is optimal for coral.

Macroalgae seem to release chemicals that slow or inhibit the attachment of coral. I don't remember the article I read that, but it was recent.

I wonder if hair algae setting up shop for an extended duration in an ATS causes a chemical alignment so that the hair is well positioned in enough locations elsewhere that it can regenerate on a screen as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

I'm running three screens right now and it's interesting to watch the diversity of algae types and colors on them. One is LED lit, one is CFL lit and one is MH lit. Additionally, my quarantine tank has turned into a fourth ATS - probably due to the lack of herbivores and the strong light and constant water motion.

I should take some pictures of all four.
Sorry unrelated but something you wrote caught my attention. Are you inferring that your QT is part of the whole system and uses water that also flows through the DT and sump? I hope not.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote