View Single Post
Unread 04/23/2016, 06:27 PM   #3563
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
Thanks for the detailed instruction on how to combat the beautiful ostreopsis dino, can I just add huge # of microfauna at this point to seed the rock and sand hoping that they will out compete the available micro nutrient in the water column?

Biodiversity is the key I heard you, but is it too late to establish microfauna at given situation, without doing the drastic UV, black out and hydrogen peroxide route.

If that doesn't work might as well transfer all the sps frags that I just acquired then suck out all the saltwater, dump fresh RO/DI to kill all the dinos then start all over with fresh live rock straight from Fiji if possible.
You have too many dinos to just kill or outcompete. So much poisons/nutrients. If you killed them now, the toxins would be too high for most normal life. Reduce by over 90 or 95 percent then you can start killing them in the tank.
Reduce them by 99+% then you can start to successfully outcompete them for nutrients. But don't let it be a fair fight. The algae/microfauna should outmass the dinos by 100 or 1000 times before you see success.

The dinos have drastically changed the chemistry/biology in your tank to suit their needs. You have to make equally drastic changes to give healthy life a chance to chase out the dinos.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote