View Single Post
Unread 11/03/2015, 11:47 AM   #2160
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Many microbes can spread very well on its own. I wouldn't spend much time worrying on how a tank got infected with a dinoflagellate. I suspect this one was there from the start, and grew into a plague when the conditions were right, but that's only a guess.
i think it's pretty important, at least morally, to figure out how tanks are getting infected so that we know if we can share/sell our livestock...i have 2 frag racks full of fully encrusted frags, not to mention a refugium full of chaeto, that i've been holding on to for almost a year now because i don't know if they will infect someone else's tank and i don't want to take that risk

my theory is that not every tank has them because we see a lot of ULNS tanks out there that has never had them...zeo tanks come into mind...i think they have to be introduced somehow by way of livestock or rock or whatever and people can have them for years and not know because they may have formed cysts, only waiting for the right time to bloom...i just don't buy the theory that they come from nowhere and all tanks simply have them, i think they need to be introduced somehow and once you have them you will always have them so sharing/selling livestock simply spreads it around

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote