View Single Post
Unread 03/12/2007, 08:56 AM   #82
TheGrog
Registered Member

OK, problem.

I am building a calcium reactor. Everything was going great. Got all the parts cut out, drilled, tapped, cleaned, sanded (saw edges) and ready to assemble.

On my top cover--the removable one that screws on so I can get to the media--I have a 3" hole in the center, covered by a 4" disk and the return line is tapped in the 4" disk. This will help remove any CO2 accumulation at the top. I have a hole tapped on the main cover, about 1/4" from the edge of the 4" disk for my effluent return. My plan was to lay the disk on top of the main one and run some #4 in there to seal it down.

Well, when I ran the #4 in there, the lower disk cracked!! It cracked where the tap hole is with the JG fitting in place and the cracks go towards the center (3") hole!!!

I had no idea that weld-on could do this! I it because the acrylic was under some stress to begin with and the solvent simply weakened it enough to cause it to crack???

The majority of the crack is under the top disk, which I put a small bead of #16 around the inside and outside edge so I don't think it will leak (hoping it won't).

Did I do something wrong by using #4 on a peice under some stress??

I know it is hard to visualize, but I don't have the digital pics on my computer yet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I worked for hours getting these peices just right and I could have cried when I saw them break in front of me for no apparent reason!

Thanks and I'll post some pics soon when I get the on my puter.

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef with Ecotech Radion LEDs, 2xMP40
TheGrog is offline   Reply With Quote