View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2008, 12:52 PM   #21
StupidsReef
Premium Member

I have a 225 MD with a 100 sump. I'm not sure how many pounds of LR, as I've added over time. This tank is 2 years old, though some of the rock I've had since 2004. In Feb of 08 I had an uncontrollable explosion of aipstasia. I tried everything out there and every home remedy to no avail. I was losing SPS & Lps and couldn't seem to stop them. At my wits end and stressed out I went to one of my LFS to see again what other options was out there. On this day they had 7 CBB. They was offered and right away I refused, due to they die. However, I was asked to feed the 7 CBB with a food call PE mysid shrimp ( new to us). To my amazement 6 of the 7 CBB ate it right away as I placed it into the tanks. Still I was unsure. After a few hours of looking them all over I was talked into giving one a try. If I thought it wasn't going to make it, and I brought it back alive, I'd get a full refund.
I bought him and a large pack of the frozen PE brand. Due to them not eating normally, I did not QT, dripped for 3 hours and place into the MD. At that time I had these fish in the tank:

1 Maroon Clown @ 2 inches

1 Christmas Wrasse # 3 inches

and numorous Inverts.

Within 1 month I couldn't find 1 aipstasia. I watched this fish eat them everyday. He also eat's the PE Mysid shrimp. I've tried other brands of Mysid and he just picks at them and then spits them back out. The only foods I've been able to get him to eat is the PE mysid & once I hatched baby brine shrimp just for him. He did eat some of them but did not go crazy for them. I still have him today plus a about 5 other fish. Every once in a while I'll bring home from other reefer's homes some aipstasia and drop them in. He goes right after them sometimes before they hit the sand. He also picks at the rocks and around corals. I'm assuming he's eating pods.

Against all odds, I've had a few issue's where things went wrong ATO messed up and topped off 55g of fresh water bringing SG down to 1.021
A new fish brought in ICK
I over measured and over doses ALK
Heater stuck on and raise tank to 87*

I've lost a few fish due to these issues, But my CBB has remained. I call him one of the 3 strong holds of my tank. The Maroon Clown, Christmas Wrasse and my CBB have been the strongest through out. When asked why he's survived by other's in my club I can only give out the answer's I think might be right.

This tanks has been up for two years. Most things in it I had since 2004 from my first 90 tank, LR and some LS. And it's somewhat big 225 gallons.

It was up for 2 years before I bought him and had only had 2 fish in it. Maybe it was loaded with pods??

And the fact that he eat's the PE mysid shrimp.

Other's in my club have tried CBB and lost them even when feeding the PE brand Mysid shrimp and other's like me have had success. My CBB is about 3 inches long and is by far my prized fish. Of all the screw up's I done I'd like to think this CBB is a reward for sticking it out in this hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying hey go get one, But I can't tell you it would be wrong to do that either. It was 4 years before I did, and I didn't want to even then.

Current Tank Info: 225g RR 100g sump T5 lighting Octopus DDNw300 GEO Calcium Reactor Dual GFO reactor, now I just need some frags
StupidsReef is offline   Reply With Quote