View Single Post
Unread 07/15/2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Mark
Premium Member

Water flow shouldn't only be addressed by pumps and and other current generators. Two other big factors is live rock aquascaping and stocking densities. Poor rock placement has a huge impact on flow. This is obvious and advised by most reef books. But stocking density is the other big issue. It really doesn't matter how many Tunze streams you have if you try to crowd too many sps-corals together. They will quickly block each other off from incoming current. That is why some more experienced sps keepers get a little critical of densely stocked tanks full of frags and colonies. After having my share of RTN episodes and crashes, I've learned less is more. I think it's much easier to regulate flow in a tank with fewer but much larger colonies, than a tank with many colonies that are smaller and crowded.

Take JB's tank for example: as his coral have grown, he's removed some colonies to make room for the growth of other colonies(reading from other posts). I'm willing to bet that the remaining corals grew faster after the removal, by opening the coral up to more flow and light.

TOTM March 2001

Current Tank Info: 225g stony reef, 38g softie
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote