View Single Post
Unread 03/25/2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Bamm Bamm
Saltwater Guru

ive never ran a uv on any of my saltwater tanks. Mostly because when I started everyone always says it kills beneficial bacteria..So I've never felt one necessary and everytime I picked one up in any kind of tank deal I just sold it for a nice profit=). I keep my parameters in check and I never have any nuissance(sp) algae. Occasionally from time to time my Kole tang get ich I feed heavy and soak the food with garlic and its gone (well not showing signs)in a few days.. would a UV stop the ich..I dunno maybe but I still dont feel one necessary.. Just seems like extra money I don't need to spend on my tank.. I do however run a big 5ft tall UV on my 10,000gallon koi pond and that is why my pond even being how huge it is NEVER ever gets any nasty algae the water is always crystal clear and you can see to airdiffuser on my 4" drain... I had a new bulb go bad on it this past summer went bad after 60 days of course the warranty was only 30days.. and the pond turned into a nasty mess I couldn't even see the fish.. took a week to figure out it actually was the UV since I had just replaced it.. replaced it again after about a week and a half the pond is perfect again..

Current Tank Info: 60g cube
Bamm Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote