View Single Post
Unread 01/01/2018, 05:22 PM   #1
subbedout
Registered Member

Dosing nitrates- stump killer????

I've tested my water weekly and have beem showing zero nitrates using API since after the 3rd week of my tank being setup. My tank is now 7 months old and has some easy SPS and LPS, a CUC, and 7 fish (clowns, firefish, midas blenny, goby, and cardinals). I had chaeto growing in sump for months but after I cleaned my sump two weeks ago and discarded my chaeto (had a bad flatworm outbreak that I treated), things have seemed "off". Most importantly, my new chaeto has white all over it and pieces of it are ending up in my display tank. It's likely starving, right?

I'm thinking I need to dose nitrate and from my research online, it seems that potassium nitrate (tree stump killer) is the way to go. Before I put some in my tank, I want to make sure this is a legit way to dose nitrates.

I have a 66 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I run filter socks, a skimmer, a GFO reactor, and use Aquaforest reef salt weekly. I'm also using kalkwasser in my top off water. My phosphates are .00-.01 using Hanna checker and my alk has been 8.5-8.9 using Hanna Checker. Mag is 1350 and calcium between 420-450 using Salifert test kits.

How often should I dose nitrate and in what dosage? Also can i put some in a bottle and hook up to a doser?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

subbedout is offline   Reply With Quote