View Single Post
Unread 10/17/2011, 12:07 PM   #21
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
Beautiful fish dynomite... how long have you had it?

As for them not releasing toxins... well, that's just factually wrong. I'm not saying that they're a guaranteed tank apocalypse, but these fish will do what there physiology will do. A lot of factors come into play - tank filtration, size of the fish, individual fish biology, hardiness of tnak-mates, etc.

There are plenty of threads discussing how boxfish wiped out a tanks' inhabitants. On the other hand, I have a tetrasomus gibbosus in my 180, so it all depends on what kind of risk you're willing to accept . I'm not saying don't buy boxfish, just be aware of the risk and the difficulty involved in keeping them healthy for the long term.

A previous poster claimed that any fish could be kept if the tank was properly set up. This may be true, but since we don't always know what a "proper tank set-up" is nor are we always able to provide such an aquarium in a home setting, I'd be a little more cautious in claiming that "any fish" is capable of being successfully kept in captivity.

I had a similar conversation with another RC member earlier in the year. He was worried about Lactoria cornuta he had purchased and its infamous capabilities to release an antigenic poison.

Both myself, and another member convinced him there are no worries, and I sincerely believe so. I personally know people who have, and still own that fish with many other species in the same tank. So i DO believe Boxfish can be kept with long-term success.

I have seen Boxfish in the Aquarium of The Pacific, Mandalay Bay Aquarium, even Shark Reef Lagoon in Las Vegas. I don't think they would feel comfortable putting this fish in a tank that could wipe it all out. Now you might say well public aquariums are different, as the tanks are of massive volume and have very impressive equipment. Yes, that is true however I still believe the Public Aquariums do not see a threat in most Boxfish, and neither do I.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote