View Single Post
Unread 05/07/2012, 05:33 AM   #49
Mental1
Registered Member

I thought it is only fair to Red Sea to come back to this thread and explain what I believe happened in my tanks. I did a fresh water dip on a Copperband butterfly a week ago and tested the pH of my RO water as part of that process. It was 8.3 -- I was shocked. I believe what happened is that something affected my well water causing it to become very alkaline, then with the heightened parameters of the Red Sea salt, I believe that my pH in my tank could have been as high as 8.8. I do have a pH monitor on the tank, I did see it high, I had just calibrated it, but I thought it had gone screwy for some reason and stupidly, did not investigate it. So I believe the cause of the SPS and euphyllia deaths in my tanks is due to the extremely high pH. So everyone is recovering, I tested my ro well water and it is back down to normal at 7.5. Still do not know what caused this but I will keep an eye on it from now on. Oh -- I am going to switch salts anyway -- going to ESV...

Current Tank Info: 400g - 65g DT and 180g peninsula DT both drop into basement. 5 tanks plus a QT in the basement.
Mental1 is offline   Reply With Quote