View Single Post
Unread 01/23/2006, 03:26 PM   #14
DGauss
Registered Member

Skimmer details

Hi folks,

I just wanted to see if I can help with some of the questions I am seeing here.

I am with D & D so I am not claiming to be anything else.

The angled top on the unit is sealed, it is a one piece molded acrylic with a waste port at the top. A hose connects the waste port to your waste container under the tank.

The "plumbing" referred to is the "closed loop venturi". Yes there is a bit. The reason for it however is important. The venturi loop is driven by a pump mounted on the unit itself. In earlier years when we all ran airstone driven units we pushed the process water through the units much slower allowing more contact time. When we all went to venturis the water had to speed up to drive the venturi. This however reduced contact time. The Term II is set up so that the mounted pump drives the venturi, it is a 800 GPH pump. Since it drives the venturi the process water can come in at any rate you wish, say 250-300 gph. This means that you get water passing through the unit three times on average before it returns to the tank, or a 3:1 contact ratio.

The little extra plumbing is what accomplishes this.

The self leveling question.

The unit is made with a tube up the side. This tube is the overflow point. Since water seeks level raising or lowering the side chamber tube sets the level in the unit. I can tell you that you can increase or decrease the input water more than 100 gph and not effect the level in the foam chamber.

Remember also that ANY skimmer should be allowed to "season" itself. You should allow on any brand skimmer three to four days for this.

Also please make certain that you understand on our units that the foam you get ( dry 0r wet / lots or little) is controlled by you. You adjust the water level up or down in the slanted top chamber. This changes the actual surface area of the foam. The best explanation I can give for wanting to do this is as follows.

I cook two pancakes, one the size of a lunch plate, and one the size of a trash can lid.
If I want to be able to put my hand (or air pressure) under them and lift them up (to the waste port) the bigger surface area one must be more cooked (or dry) or my hand will just go through it. By changing the surface area of the foam you control the density of it when ejected. These units can be made to put out a small amount of very dry foam, or a large amount of wet foam, it is your choice.

I hope some of this helps answer questions. You will also find video clips on our web site of a functioning foam chamber to view.

I hope I am not treading on the "NO commercial posting" we just want to answer your questions if we can.

Best wishes,
D. Gauss
D & D Marine