View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2006, 01:43 PM   #17
mcrist
Premium Member

I designed my tank to have a closed loop through the bottom of the tank. This is the first time I ever had a tank drilled on the bottom of the tank. After talking with James he convinced me that if I used Hayward brand bulkheads that I would not have leaks. I was so impressed with the quality of the bulkheads that I bought all Hayward brand unions and ball valves.

One thing I did that may be different from what most people do is that I did not use Teflon tape for any threaded connections. I used aquarium grade silicone for all fittings. I learned that one from Bob Fenner. I love the seal it makes and I get zero salt creep and yes you can remove it if needed. Best of all it is flexible for any fittings that has vibrations, specifically pumps.

I had 8 one inch holes drilled on the bottom of the tank and 2 two inch holes on the side of the tank to feed my pump. The pump I decided to go with is a Sequence Dart and I was originally planning to use the 8 way OceanMotions unit for random flow. I decided that the 8 way would make my plumbing way to complicated so I went with the 4 way. I am happy I did since the 4 way was tough enough to get the way I wanted. The Dart is sooo quiet, I love that pump. Bellow is a picture of the fittings where the two inch bulkhead goes to my pump. My daughter is playing peak-a-boo in this photo.

mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote