Thread: 14gal Nano Reef
View Single Post
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:13 AM   #17
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Sunday we had some tank drama!

The rocks have been unsettled due to the pistol shrimp burrowing under them and the snails and crabs moving around on them. I was using our magnetic algae scraper on the glass and was getting a little agressive, the movement of the water caused one of the big rocks to fall. The hermits had uprooted the FSP on Saturday and this fall dropped the Xenia too. We were already planing to move the Galaxia to her (hubby decided that it must be a female if it is at risk of stinging other coral out of spite) own rock so she wouldn't be as much of a threat to the others. We had bought some super glue gel to secure the coral so the crabs would stop knocking them down. We rearranged the rock to make them sturdier and secured them with glue. We scaraped the potential bubble algae from the base of the Galaxia and glued her to her new rock. The FSP and Xenia were being glued to larger rocks so we were placing them at the tank. As I was lifting the Xenia frag plug, HE. FELL. OFF!! Head first, splat on to the floor in front of the tank. We glued him directly on to the rock and he is starting to open up more as of this morning, but nothing like the beauty in last week's photos. I hope we haven't killed our poor little Fabio (yes, we name our coral). The FSP is looking fuller this morning than it ever has! The photos are from last night. The Galaxia doesn't seem to care that she was shuffled around. We also went ahead and tucked the heater into the back chamber so the clowns don't burn themselves. I will say that everyone but the Xenia seems to be more active than ever before with these changes. The clowns had been sticking to one side of the tank before. When I fed them last night they were even picking food off the rocks which they hadn't done before. There is room all around the rocks so the goby will come out either side and hang out. As will the blood shrimp (I wish he wouldn't hide as much because he is SO pretty).

The FSP was just starting to open up when I took these photos last night. But I think we are all liking the new rockscape (which is good because it is a little more permanent with the glue...I don't want them to fall and hurt anything).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.jpg (83.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.jpg (95.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (93.4 KB, 18 views)
MyHouseIsAZoo is offline   Reply With Quote