Thread: Pods and phyto
View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2017, 01:55 PM   #17
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I've used scrubbers similar to the one you posted in FW tanks as biological media. They work great, assuming you get lucky and don't end up with one that somehow pollutes the system (I've heard rumors but no confirmed cases). That said, a ball of chaeto is mechanically very similar - I know you said you can't grow more than a golfball, but it might be worth pursuing that in addition to the scrubber or with the longterm intention of replacing it. Feed more! You've got the capacity to handle it, and it will probably kickstart your chaeto growth.

If it's stubborn and still won't grow, I would suggest dosing iron. I use the Kent brand product and dose at half the suggested rate until I start getting good growth again. Any time I have stalled Chaeto growth that doesn't have an obvious cause, this has always solved the problem. I have had chaeto in my current tank for maybe 3 months now and it stalled a few weeks ago. Started dosing iron last week and it's doubled in size in a week.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote