View Single Post
Unread 05/05/2012, 03:22 PM   #41
Mr.Aiptasia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
How do you know? What exactly do you think you are washing away? Many people have a mistaken impression of how significant those removable nutrients are.

Even more so than phosphate, all foods contain massive amounts of nitrogen that cannot be washed away. Washing out 1% of the N or P is probably not changing anything significant to the overall addition of N and P to the tank.
Yes, that's true.

I just did one experiment - left that sort of a "juice" with some amount of my tank water (where nitrates are almost 0) in separate container, and then measured amount of nitrates later... seems like they increased significantly. And if biofiltration is not strong enough, I think that may be at least an additional source of nitrates (especially for smaller tanks). Just my humble opinion...

Then, I observed reactions of my corals (escpecially Montipora, Xenia and some Zoanthus species), and they completely don't like the "original juice" - they start to shrink, shrivel, "wither". I started to remove the fluid to make the food as much dry as possible, and replaced the fluid with vitamins and aminoacid solutions, and since then no bad reactions from my corals were noticed. From the other hand, aminoacids and vitamins are source of N as well Ok, then I think these additives are getting absorbed by most of my corals, unlike the original "juice".

Well, of course I may be mistaken, but I did a lot of experiments in my tank, and... yes, I know that what works for one tank, won't work for another for sure.

To be honest, I'm not really concerned about N or P, but... there's something else present in a frozen food original "juice" - preservatives? Stabilizers? I don't know, there's nothing shown on the package, but some critters from my tank definitely don't like it, whatever it is... thats why I prefer to remove the original "juice".

Sorry if I seem incompetent... again, it just some experiments only in my tank.

P.S. Sorry for my "English" again, hope you can read my "scribble"

Last edited by Mr.Aiptasia; 05/05/2012 at 03:35 PM.
Mr.Aiptasia is offline   Reply With Quote