View Single Post
Unread 11/18/2016, 01:07 PM   #15
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Some, supposedly attack the algae itself while others I believe are heterotrophic.

Hi.

I've searched around and haven't found any algae eating bacteria or bacterial algacides. I've heard of algae eating bacteria for nutrients but not the other way around .Bacteria do compete with algae for nutreints and effect the algae in that fashion. I haven't seen the manufacturer claim the bacterial supplement directly attacks the algae.

Mostly the product sounds like a bit of carbon dosing , bacterial supplementation and a bit of aspartic acid, aka aspartate (C4H7NO4),for some carbon and nitrogen along with a bit of vinegar ,aka acetic acid (CH3COOH), for another carbon source.
I have several questions sent to them and some around the little amount of organics included.

I haven't heard back any answers. Their rep is in active contact with me but he defered my questions to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
Here are a couple of questions and the responses from the manufacturer. This is taken from the Vibrant thread on one of the other large reef forums...

"Q. It contains de-nitrifying bacteria and an "algae-eating clinging bacteria". What is the Family of the bacteria? Why does this particular bacteria consume the algae instead of consuming the same resources that are critical to algae growth?

A. It does both. It will actually consume the algae and feed on the nutrients the algae needs to survive.

Q. With algae-eating, clinging bacteria, how is it selective and targets the algae we deem "pest algae" and does not harm other macro algae?

A. This was all figured out by strength of the bacteria and dosing regiment. It really doesn't know but it works it way from the less dominant algaes up to the more dominant. We are finding that some people are having some issues with chaeto as there No3 and Po4 get consumed and there is not enough to keep the macro happy anymore."
I have to post up the pictures I've taken of it. I'm behind. But there is most definitely a bacteria that is cocci shaped that is "clinging" to strands of something in the bottle.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote