View Single Post
Unread 05/29/2015, 10:01 AM   #1145
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefromaz View Post
It was proven a long time ago that dinos flouish in an excess of nutrients. Long Island sound has been plagued by red tide (dinos) whixh kill fish and inverts on a scale hard gor most people to visualize. Anyway the culprits have long been known to be nitrate based fertilizers and phosphate based detergents washing from farms and towns into the local watershed and ultimately into the sound. By the way back inthe sixties laws were passed barring phosphate detergents. In less than a year fishing and the shellfish industry were astounded by the recovery of the system. Unfortunatly the big money soap suds producets got the rulings repealed. Look up the state of Long Island fisheries if you need convincing. Any ecosystem is kept in balance by the amount of available food. The only reason dinos would subside is if they ate themselves into starvation. It is a hard way to gp bouncing back and forth between cyano/dino outbreaks trying to cure the problem with a dirty fish tank treatment. It just invites more problems down the line.
n

There is a difference..
I found that dino's can out compete other algae at very low nutrient levels.

With slightly elevated levels of nutrients other green algae can actually out compete dino's.

Now excess nutrient can provide enough for all types of algae and I dont think anyone is talking that. It like during cylce you get all kinds of algae.

I had suggested a while back that since dino's can live at so low of nutrient levels some other element might limit their growth. I mean if people were raising their nutrient levels and growing other green algae and the dino's disappeared the green algae had to be removing something from the water that dino's need.

Since allot of people I know that had them lived in areas where the water was higher in iron that might be it. Plus iron is known to help in plant and algae growth. Some people have tried cupisorb and said it had positive results. I am wondering if anyone has tried MetaSorb UHC ..

Last edited by shred5; 05/29/2015 at 10:12 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote