View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2012, 08:52 AM   #6
JohnV8r
Registered Member

Jonathan,

Here is the video that discusses the DelTec Denitrator. Check at about 3:28 on the video for the denitrator discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSL0MZAdiM

The thing that caught my eye is that the vodka is dosed into the denitrator instead of the entire system. I can't help but wonder if that doesn't keep any of the potential negative side effects of vodka dosing contained in the denitrator much in the same way that Randy told me dosing into my overflow would move the biological process from vodka dosing "upstream" of my display tank. Since the denitrator has a very slow intake, it would seem logical that the biological process from introducing vodka might be entirely contained in the denitrator, thereby providing the benefit of vodka dosing while reducing the likelihood of potential negative side effects.

As many things in this hobby can be counterintuitive, I was just looking for some feedback to see if the prevailing thought was that a denitrator would contain the biological process from vodka dosing.

Current Tank Info: 175g reef (48"L x 28"D x 30"H), 15g Refugium, 30g Sump w/ASM G3 (gate, mesh, & recirc mods), 10K GPH flow via 3 Tunze 7096 + return, ATO via Tunze Osmolater, 2x250W Radiums, GFO, Carbon, dosing vinegar/vodka, Alk, Ca, via 3 BRS dosers & Apex.

Last edited by JohnV8r; 11/08/2012 at 09:48 AM.
JohnV8r is offline   Reply With Quote