View Single Post
Unread 04/23/2014, 02:11 PM   #42
ken6217
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroporAddict View Post
I haven't bought one yet. None in the country to buy.

This skimmer purchase is purely elective. I decided to try something different than my Alpha 300, and that I would go for one with a long riser tube that operates on a Mazzei injector vs the same needle wheel technology of the BK/Alpha 300 types.

The Alpha is very close to the BK SM 250/300 in the way it operates, needle wheel, etc. Great skimmer, but I am curious about the LifeReef. I haven't heard a bad thing about this line, and they have been around for 30 years.

I had an Orca 200 with a Beckett injector years and years ago, but never a Mazzei based skimmer.

Who knows, I may buy a BK SM 250 as well and do a direct comparison. I am an admitted equipment junkie.

If there is any downside to needle wheel skimmers, I have always thought that with my Alpha 300 I have to skim wet to get the best performance out of it. Never been an issue for me, as I have always skimmed wet. Cone skimmer technology, as I understand it, is based on making the exposure time of the bubbles to water longer. A broad base on the bottom and bottle neck small diameter opening at the top is how this is achieved. In the LifeReef skimmers it is old school with a tall reaction chamber. I think I can play with dryer skimming with this type of skimmer better than I can with a BK. I may be wrong, but whenever I have tried dryer skimming in a cone type, I get a huge buildup of goop on the inside of the riser tube. Wetter skimming helps stop this, but then you only can do one type of skimming.
This is where I'm at as well. I have a BK on my tank. Have used needle wheel skimmers for years now. I have seen so much about Lifereef, I wanted to see for myself if it is as billed, or if everyone is drinking the Koolaid.
Ken

ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote