View Single Post
Unread 05/31/2018, 02:15 AM   #9
pauloshannassy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckoltia View Post
Hi Paul

I used the Red Sea salt too, just used the regular and not the coral pro being a quarantine tank. I've just used a raw uncooked prawn/shrimp as an ammonia source rather than using Ammonia Chloride - not as precise but does the job.

Let me know how you go with DR Tims.

What are your thoughts on the life rock? I think it looks the part under lights and wet (didn't think much of it dry). Probably the negative is the price, it is more expensive for me to buy than high quality live rock collected from the Abrolhos Islands. Still tossing up whether to go down the live rock path like I have in the past and deal with the pests - last time around I had a bit of a rough time with large growing crabs and mantis shrimp. I also don't think the Life Rock comes in large enough pieces for the 8x3x2' display.
Yeah this is the first time i've used dry rock to start with (also sick of crabs + other hitchhikers etc..).

The life rock looks great so far - i used mainly the shapes and some shelf rocks. You would need quite a few boxes to fill a 8x3x2 tank - i wish i had that problem!

Will let you know how the cycle goes (i also added a cube of frozen mysis shrimp and a piece of live rock from my other tank - which might speed things along?). I started to get some nitrite readings yesterday so should be working.

pauloshannassy is offline   Reply With Quote