View Single Post
Unread 09/05/2015, 06:48 PM   #1719
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Since nobody seems to have a clue here are some of mine.

The live rock brought in Symbiodinum dinflagellates desperately needed for coral health and growth.
The dinos are not producing any toxins any more.
New bacteria brough in with the live rock is suppressing or neutralizing the dino toxins in the water column.

From my experience the current growth period will last around 3 months before everything will start to go downhill.
Too many possibilities.
Live rock was full of ciliate/bacterial predators that took a while to be poisoned off
Live rock had lots of decaying organics that the corals enjoyed
Decaying organics plus new bacteria unbalanced the scale from dinos

I am surprised the rock from the unicorn tank didn't work..I thought that was an excellent idea. Perhaps the rock has to be a certain percentage? EG 50% new rock, remove old. Certainly you can't do that with fish in the tank.

I'm 2 days into a 3 day blackout. Having a huge explosion of dinos, unsure why. I suspect something big and unseen has died. Could be the serpent star. Adding rock is the only thing left to try. STILL have 0 nitrates and phosphates. Pods have been a bust. Phyto isn't doing anything either.

Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote