View Single Post
Unread 11/28/2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

Re multiples at once, yes, you can. Just make sure you can pay adequate attention to their safety: plastic grid can help steady them.

Spieszak, yes, I am, for this reason: ammonia builds in an open bag, and ammonia kills. I feel so bad answering a post from somebody who has just lost a beautiful, expensive, healthy fish---"I acclimated it for 2 hours! What happened?"---and there is just no danger in fast-tracking to quarantine that remotely matches the hazard of a too-long acclimation. The biggest deal is salinity match, distantly followed by temperature; and a floated bag has done its adjusting in about 15 minutes, at the temperatures usually involved, by what I am told. The death clock starts ticking the minute the travel or shipping bag is opened, and from that moment you have between 15 and 30 minutes to get your fish out of it and into good water. You have situations where a fish arrives in a punctured bag, still with some water left---and that fish would survive; but the rules say drip acclimate, and that's exactly the wrong thing to do, because in that little water left---it's going to be bad fast. And the wonderful specimen that somebody takes mega-time acclimating is actually under the worst threat of all.

Basically, get the creature out of that bag as fast as possible, once you have matched salinity and temperature, and a short float in the still-sealed bag, then open the bag and straight to identical salinity is far, far better than what we're doing to specimens under the current procedure, imho.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.