View Single Post
Unread 03/05/2016, 12:26 AM   #3226
EdenR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
I don't think 5 days is long enough for the black out method. I chickened out at 8 or 9 days, others who have stopped short have reported the dinos have come back a few weeks or a few months later. My tank was spotless, not a single sign of any sort of algae.

I would keep getting bio-diversity in to the tank, on a daily basis, keep the pH high (8.5) and strictly use blue spectrum lights only for the next 2 weeks.
Make sure you are siphoning out the dead dinos and any areas of the sand they remain on, replacing with synthetic salt water (TMCPR or similar (no DOC's).
I'm perplexed as to why you keep insisting there is a "blackout method". There isn't one. Have you read the numerous reports of people emptying out all the water from their tanks and storing the dry rocks for months only to fill it back up with water and get dinos again? You do realize some dinos can encyst and just come back at a later time, correct? Extended blackouts are completely unnecessary and do not work lest your purpose is to kill your livestock.

All the success reports lately have come from people doing a simple 3 day blackout followed by increased feedings and phyto/pod dosing. All the reports of anyone doing 5+ day blackouts have reported death of corals. Coincidence?

UV DOES work. It's worked for numerous people on here. The bacteria that are in the water column are inconsequential because there are a lot more on the rocks, sand, walls, pumps, sump, etc. Pods we are dosing are benthic.

EdenR is offline   Reply With Quote