View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2011, 05:17 PM   #7
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Most data available regarding nutrient reduction comes from waste fresh water treatment studies. There have been a few studies completed involving seawater waste removal which seems to follow suit with the freshwater studies.

This article provides a good comparison of anaerobic vs aerobic bacterial nutrient break-down for fresh water:

ANAEROBIC VERSUS AEROBIC TREATMENT IN THE U.S.A.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8jzpBnoVaaDE3Q

From the graphs in this article, anaerobic break-down is the winner as far as cost and provides the best nutrient break-down (significantly lower than aerobic alone and the combo of the two). The chemical pathways for reduction seem to be the most efficient IMHO using anaerobic methods. From the graphs the anaerobic bacteria provide the lowest final nutrient levels.

The studies I have read indicate that ethanol will inhibit the anaerobic bacteria which is not a good thing IMHO. On the other hand acetate (vinegar) will increase growth rates of both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria which is a win, win IMHO. So to answer your question, IMHO vinegar alone may be the clear winner based on what info I have read.

Vinegar is the cheapest carbon source as well, which makes it a winner as far as long term costs. The biopellets are just too expensive at this point and I see no need for their use. Vodka is more expensive than vinegar.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 12/03/2011 at 05:26 PM.
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote