View Single Post
Unread 02/21/2012, 04:27 PM   #80
CynicalCnidaria
Registered Member

I think that removing fish from the wild- no matter how you look at it- is bad. If you remove a fish from the wild, it is just as good to the ocean as killing it. The fish will be out of the breeding population, and that is what counts...

I admit to not following my morals very cleanly, but I think that tank bread and aquacultured is the ONLY way to go if you wish to preserve this hobby for future generations. You can say "who cares" or "aren't reefs dying already," but ultimately you may choose what you want to do... and hopefully you aren't gonna further aggravate a situation.

In terms of the first post on this thread- yes I agree that if fish are to be taken out of the wild they might as well be kept alive, and that sort of wasteful killing is saddening. Perhaps if more conservative and conscious collection techniques were employed, then they could only take a smaller margin of fish collected without having to worry about them dying.

Do not get me wrong- I have broken every one of my own rules- I have killed fish(wild ones), and I have made poor decisions. This thread just now has made me more dedicated and motivated to abstain from buying non captive bread or "used" fish.

I applaud the members here for their concern with the sustainability of this hobby and the responsibility each and every one of us must take.

Keep it up!

CynicalCnidaria is offline   Reply With Quote