View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2018, 03:52 PM   #1
cflow
Registered Member

Dosing KNO3 with AF

After months of starving my corals I've simplified my AF additives to the point where I'm now only using ABEV, components 1,2,3, carbon, and siporax. I also exchanged my skimmer for one that has no pin wheel and is hardly rated for my tank volume. My NO3 and PO4 have been 0 by salifert, red sea, and hanna test kits. I started dosing food KNO3 to get some nitrate in the water. Within a few days my corals started growing again, my alkalinity, Mg, and Ca consumption increased and my colors got MUCH better. The flip side is I started developing a bryopsis algae which is just annoying. I've been acquiring a heavier CUC to take care of it but I'm not sure they can handle it. My question is would reintroducing bacteria /carbon dosing be a recipe for disaster at this point? The algae is annoying but I'm afraid of a giant cyano or other algae/bacteria bloom. I struggle to keep my NO3 at ~2. PO4 0 regardless of my efforts. I imagine some PO4 is in the system, but the algae is using it before it can be measured. I'm having some difficulty finding the right balance for my tank.

cflow is offline   Reply With Quote