View Single Post
Unread 02/01/2011, 04:40 PM   #14
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo4 View Post
I'm running a Snapper on my 185 and love it...great pump. I've got the flow dialed back a bit on it as they handle that well. At about 5' of head, I think it pushed about 1700 GPH and I've got it dialed back maybe 30% with ball valves, so I'm at about 7 times turnover through the sump. A little on the higher end, but do you think too much?

If I didn't already own two MP40s, I would have thought about the 60s. I just had a hard time justifying buying two 60's rather than one more 40. I'll have to see how the aquascape ultimately turn out, but for now I'm thinking of one MP40 on each end and one on the back in the middle.
My personal opinion is really no need to flow thru sump much more than what your skimmer is processing. My 250g DT only has about 650gph thru sump(syncra 4.0, ~5' head). My skimmer is doing about 350gph (syncra 1.5) currently. Once i increase my stock & load, i will bump up to about 400gph feed to skimmer(syncra 2.0 dialed back a little).

Also the 3 MP40's would be plenty of flow. Thus the low flow thru sump will save electricity, provide nice settling area for detritus, and reduce microbubbles