View Single Post
Unread 05/25/2015, 03:37 PM   #1121
DDon
Registered Member

Seeking some advice in my battle with/recovery from dinos.

Tank is a 240g mixed reef (SPS dominant) and have been battling dinos since January. I had been fighting cyano for some time then noticed quite a few across with STN from base and from tips at which time a began to suspect dinos. At this point I started using peroxide ramping up to 1ml/gal to battle the suspected dinos and this seems to be when they really became apparent. Did a 3 days lights out but not a complete blackout with heavy siphoning and blowing of rocks while continuing peroxide. This seemed to knock them back quite a bit and stated seeing good growth on corals again but slowly dinos started showing in greater numbers again. Tried another 3 day lights out with even greater physical removal and no water changes. Also, continued peroxide dosing but at 1ml/gal twice a day. Again this knocked them back and what I saw remaining I was doing spot treatments with peroxide. Also stopped adding vinegar to my kalk as I was afraid this might be fueling dinos.
At this point I went on a 10 day trip overseas and left the tank in the care of my oldest daughter. She knows the basics maintenance but nothing more. While on my trip I got some reports from my son (who just loves to give me bad news) that some of my corals were dying. When I returned home it was soo much worse than I could have imagined. Tank was loaded with dinos and the coral losses were pretty severe with the majority of SPS (including across, montis, stylos, birds nests etc.) impacted. Not all were dead but most were damaged. LPS were also impacted with loss of a chalice and mac o'lantern lepto looking very rough.
I have to say at this point I was so discouraged I considered tearing the tank down and starting over or just taking a sledgehammer to the tank and be done with it.

Anyways, at this point I decided to do 5 day blackout, so turned off lights and covered tank in black plastic. Started with peroxide treatment again at a dose of about 1.5ml/gal twice a day, thorough cleaning of the system to remove as many dinos as possible and including a full cleaning of the sump. Also did 3 40 gal water changes in a week and fresh carbon (twice) and fresh GFO.
Today is the first day that lights are back on. Just running an actinic and blue bulb (T5) and my kessils on at 15% intensity and color at 10% for 5 hours.
Tank looks great right now, well not seeing any dinos at least. Still pulling dead corals out and will need to do some pretty hard trimming on others to see if they might survive.
Going forward I am not sure what to do. Is the lighting intensity and duration I started at fine or would you start slower and for how long? Also seeing so much mixed info on low nutrients or slightly higher? Continue with regular water changes or stop again since lights are back on? Start vinegar dosing in my kalk again or not?
Before all this started tank looked the best it ever did. I was running GFO changed monthly and was dosing vinegar with my kalk. 15% water changes were performed weekly.
Any advice for moving forward would be greatly appreciated. Oh and before you ask, I never did identify what type of dinos I was dealing with.
Thanks

Edit: I knew I forgot something. I was also adding additional kalk, in a slurry, to try to raise pH during the first 3 day lights out period and during the 5 day blackout, though to a lesser extent the second time due to equipment and livestock issues that were experienced the first time.

Last edited by DDon; 05/25/2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add Additional Information
DDon is offline   Reply With Quote