View Single Post
Unread 05/06/2015, 10:51 AM   #10
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpureluck View Post
Are you afraid to get any unwanted critters in this rock/sand? I was scared to use this in my 300 gallon build, but I'm curious about it, so I may setup a 24 Aquapod an use only the stuff from the package and see what I get. Maybe do an atlantic/gulf only tank. Do mantis shrimp only hit the bottom of the tank or do they hit the sides too? I'd maybe like to use TBS "the package" to do a mantis tank, but I'd have to add starboard to the bottom of the Aquapod for safety. Any ideas or thoughts?
The mantis shrimp that occur in the Gulf where I harvest the live rock are called wennerae, and one of the most interesting and docile mantis of the specie.

The internet myth of mantis breaking tanks, especially the wennerae is just that...a myth.

I have been doing this over forty ears, and never have I heard of them causing an issue with a tank. Other larger species/types could possibly be an issue, but one in a million from what I have read and Dr. Roy Caldwells experiences, and he is the ultimate guru of these critters. So there are no worries with wennerae.

They are one of most interesting creatures in our oceans, and the demand for them is great in the hobby. Keep them fed, and you have a really good sand stirrer and most interesting creature.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2496710

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote