View Single Post
Unread 11/05/2017, 07:30 PM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
Agree with one caveat. “Ich is less about the immune system”. I could not disagree more. First, what makes a healthy slime coat seperate from healthy immune system. Second, I have seen certain fish exhibit ich in slime coat but never show any other symptoms with spots disappearing. No other fish showed symptoms. Please explain that to me. Remember, I have been doing this for 45 years.
Fair enough on your first point, I'd actually agree that the ability to produce a protective slime coat could be considered as part of the totality of the immune system. Really not following you on your second point though. Fish can certainly exhibit the white telltale spots, only to have them disappear and not return. Why that is is ultimately speculative. Had my first tank 44 years ago, though perhaps that extra year imparts disproportionate levels of wisdom

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote