View Single Post
Unread 09/06/2017, 11:14 AM   #17
SouthFla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
How are these mirrorless for reliability? I am near 250K shots a year and have found that only 1D and 5D to hold up for a few years. I am always just a year from my next camera.

Also, how are the landscapes with depth? I struggles with depth of outdoor landscape here in Colorado and still use film if I really want a particular shot.
Thanks jda (LOL you stole my initials). Certainly can't attest to reliability or longevity, and they don't feel as "battle-tough" as my 1Ds' or even 5dIIIs, but there seems to be quite a few pros also making the switch and putting them through a workout with good results. But IMO it's too early to know...

As far as landscape use, IMO they run circles around Canon, and the aRII may be the best (non-MF) landscape camera manufactured to date. The amount of detail and dynamic range on the FF 42MP sensor is nothing short of astounding. Photos where I'd previously take a -2/+2 5-picture bracket to stack the dynamic range can now be accomplished often in a single shot. It's amazing to expose for the foreground, blow-out the sky/highlights, and be able to completely pull it back and recover all of the sky detail in post. No bracketing/hdr processing or grad ND filters required

And with my $700 Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, I've been shooting at 5.6 and have everything from 3' to infinity in TACK sharp focus! I just did a three building architecture shoot and found myself damn near giddy over the experience with the mirrorless...

Current Tank Info: 125G reef, Alk ~8.1, Ca 410, Mg 1350, 1.025SG

Last edited by SouthFla; 09/06/2017 at 11:21 AM.
SouthFla is offline   Reply With Quote