View Single Post
Unread 06/14/2011, 10:26 PM   #19
djkms
Fish Freak

Randy,

Thank you very much for taking a minute to reply to this thread, your wisdom is much appreciated!

----------

Just to throw out some more knowledge I asked Randy a question a couple months back about feeding the pods; here is a copy/paste of our conversation (hope its ok Randy, just want to share the knowledge).

Quote:
Hello,

I would like to get your tigger pods but have a question. Pretty much everywhere I read it states the best phyto for copepods is Nanochloropsus (most nutritious) yet on your website you state:

They can also feed on green algae such as Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis, however most of these algae will pass right through their digestive tracts and not provide any nutrition.

Can you explain this a bit more, why would so many places recommend this algae to culture for copepods? If nano is not the best algae to feed pods what would be the best to feed them?

Thanks for your help!

Kris
Quote:
Hi Kris,

I don’t know if Nanno by itself works, but I do know our mixed diet (Phyto-Feast) of Nanno, Tetraselmis, Pavlova, Isochrysis, and Thalassiosira works very well. My best guess is that Nanno is a bit small and has a tougher cell wall than Tiggers would prefer. Tet should work perfectly well, even though it also has a tough cell wall. The brown algae are very nutritious and have easily digest membrane walls.

I hope this is helpful,

Randy Reed, Reed Mariculture

Instant Algae and Reef Nutrition
Hope that helps you guys, it sure did help me

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote