Thread: Calcium and Alk
View Single Post
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:30 PM   #11
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Very nice tank by the way, love the clown, nice mix of corals, well done.

4 hours, I don't do this, nuts.

To me, salt is salt, the difference IMO is the mix, the higher the range, likely a bit more expensive. That said, I have seen the most beautiful tanks using RC and IO.

MG prevents the AlK and the CA from just coming together quickly, before the coral can uptake. Low MG makes both harder to maintain.

Pick your salt firstly from what ranges you expect to keep constant and with a minimal load, the WC should be sufficient.

Ugly stages absolutely no fun. I find it better to keep the water quality consistent rather than "clean", i.e., I only do WC based on nitrate and phosphate levels. When my nitrate gets 5ppm and /or phosphate exceeds .1, then I do a small change. This change drops nitrate to 2.5 ppm and phosphate .05.

Maybe some of this helps, maybe not, it's just one way.

Your going to be really pleased when the ugly stages end, but yes, oh yes, annoying and frustrating during.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the kind words. I’m hoping to add a little more rock up top and a few more corals and let it grow. Here’s to hoping.

I agree with the don’t worry about super clean water and worry about consistent parameters. I think I get in my own head a little with a small tank and think I need to change water constantly. I’ve been debating slowing that down and keeping an eye on the parameters.

I do need to start monitoring mag more because I couldn’t even tell you the last time I checked it. Thanks again for the input.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monti1 is offline   Reply With Quote