Thread: Kessil A350
View Single Post
Unread 07/01/2012, 03:12 PM   #362
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

I've been running an A350W over my 40 Breeder frag tank for about a week now.
I've been running EcoTech Radions over my other tanks for several months now.

The Kessil is surprisingly small, and light.
I dont like the goose neck mount for it. The base that mounts to the tank is not the most secure thing in the world at all. It consists of a metal U bar that houses a nylon block as a tank rim adaptor. You use nylon thumb screws to secure the nylon block to the side of the metal U bar. This is adjustable for height.
You then use nylon thumb screws to secure the metal U bar to the tank rim. The nylon thumb screws are the weak point of this mounting system.

IMO, for nearly the same amount of money, the Grip Lock Radion hanging kit is better than the Gooseneck mount. Its easier to adjust, and much more secure.

The Kessil is more like a Metal Halide in terms of appearance than any other LED light I've seen thus far. With just one optic, it looks identical to a MH. The Radions have a little bit of the disco ball look with regards to the "Shimmer" but not much and not distracting to me. You get used to it and dont see it after a little while.

With both channels at 100%, the light closely looks like a 14K Hamilton MH on IceCap or electronic ballasts.

The Radions at 100% look almost identical to the 250 W14K Phoenix lights powered by a PFO HQI Ballast. Basically more white with a crisp blue look to them. The Kessil looks more blue.

The Kessil is either on, or off. You can control the intensity levels of the two channels, but that's about it.

The Radions are able to be programmed to ramp up or down at pre-programmed times. I didnt find the Radions to be as easy to program as they are advertised, but then again, I'm a former infantry Marine who is now a cop, not a Rocket Surgeon.

40 Frag tank contains SPS frags, a few softies, and clams. Based solely on the way the softies are shrinking down while the Kessil is on, I would bet that it produces more than enough PAR to grow my acros and maintain colors. For frame of reference, the Frag tank used to have a 250 W Phoenix 14k SE powered by a Sunlight Supply Galaxy Select A Watt E Ballast set at 250 watt usage, (not 250 HQI or higher, just regular 250W). The Softies used to shrink down in the same manner and the same amount under the MH as it does under the Kessil.

Between the two, I personally prefer the Radions for the better color variations, and for the ability to ramp up/down throughout the photo period. But that is solely my opinion. And you do pay almost double the price of a Kessil for those and other abilities of the Radions.

Overall, the only negative I honestly have about the Kessil is the Gooseneck mount. Otherwise, I think its a well made light and will do quite well on the market.

One thing to note about the Kessil is that with just one optic and and the LED's being a combined array, if they burn out or malfunction, you're going to have to send in the whole light for any sort of repairs. I doubt there will be many repairs to be made, and with Kessil's history in the horticulture side of things, I bet they knew what they were doing.

With the Radion, in theory, its possible for Eco-Tech to send you a replacement puck to repair a bad side.

Just my thoughts, and worth exactly what you paid for them.

Nick