View Single Post
Unread 06/14/2016, 03:22 PM   #3766
karimwassef
Registered Member

My tank is different than most. I have an extreme level of oxygenation/surface agitation and I've just added even more.

I lowered my skimmer down to 6 "feet"... To be clear = 72" of water and foam. That's down from the usual 10ft. I have 2000gph flowing through the skimmer and circulating foam inside it at ~4500gph and sucking in about 5gal/min of fresh air.

I use a surge that agitates 40gals in 3 seconds

I have 4 x WP60s creating 3" waves

I use 4 x surface flow diverters

I just added a 24" x 24" ATS screen that creates a thin film surface over 8 sqft of mesh flowing at 3000gph

So... With all that, my oxygenation is probably ridiculous.

The CC caused a thick foam and ALL my coral polyps to open up to the extreme. It was ridiculous. Like a polyp party...

This stayed for three days with actual noticeable growth in some of my SPS. I can't describe it, but it's as if they were being held back and then suddenly sprung out...

It slowly subsided and I ran a water change last night... Skimmer back to normal.

Everything looks fantastic!

Cyano completely gone- even under the sand / against the glass - wish I had taken some before pics.

The black algae I had broke apart... I think it was a matrix organism made of cyano, hair and other things. But the cyano was the binding agent since it can grow over other organisms.

In 24hrs, the stuff was blowing away and the crabs were feasting on the material underneath it. They were literally mobbing the areas where it had been. Why didn't they do that before???

Anyway... My tank's response to chemiclean was outstanding...

My corals never looked so good. Heck, the algae in my chaeto box and ATS look better and healthier!!!! Yes- I am excited about the health of my algae..

I don't know what's in it but I bet it's a combination antibiotic and flocculant. It has a visibly power effect of the air/water interface ... Almost like a clear film.

I don't know how other tanks react to it, but if I am pretty sure that this stuff can kill a tank without surface agitation. It would "seal" up the tank's surfaces and suffocate it without the hyper-surface agitation.

If you want to try it, I recommend creating a reactor region where you pass the water through a large volume container (maybe a Rubbermaid tub?) and agitate it like a blender with powerheads, air stones, and dump surges... And then circulate as much water through this "lung" as you can. You should agitate the surface of your tank too, but if you're not getting the "soap" bubbles effect, you're probably not there yet.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote