View Single Post
Unread 01/08/2009, 09:19 PM   #55
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vair
Thanks for the informative thread, I'll be incorporating your design into my 300+G. build I have under way.

I was wondering what you and others think the advantages and disadvantages of a intank weir compared to behind tank weir?
I think behind tank 'looks' better as you do not take up tank space. I'm more concerned about strength. My build will be about a 8 foot wide tank with close to a coast to coast overflow.
Do you think a rear mounted overflow box would add strength like euro bracing would? With a intank weir you would have the strength of the weir and could still ad eruo bracing if you wanted. So I guess my question is about tank strength; intank or behind tank is there a difference in tank strength? Other comments regarding the good and bad of each would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
The overflow box will add strength, but bowing of the glass/acrylic could peel it from the back of the tank if it is not adhered well.

I like the external overflow better from an easthetic standpoint and display standpoint.

The eurobracing will get in the way of an "in tank" overlfow and make it hard to access.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote