View Single Post
Unread 01/09/2009, 06:15 AM   #59
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRebel
Bean
My main return pump is about 1900gph @ 0' (but my tank is 10' above the pump and I will divert some flow to the refugium) so say around 1200gph from the overflow. If having two systems is not a good idea and being the anal retentive person that I am (I'm afraid of overflowing the tank and flooding my house) should I then use three of the six holes for your type of overflow and leave the other three as triple emergency overflows (each set at a slightly higher level)? Or possible as inlets for a CL (or would that starve my sump)?
Thanks
The core concept of this overflow is safety. Adding a 4th standpipe as a 2nd emergency would certainly not hurt, but the benefit is questionable. Without a doubt 5 and 6 are far past the point of diminishing returns.

You can use them as closed loop intakes, everything will balance. However, that means a significant increase in flow over the weir and a severe dilution of the surface skimmed water going to the sump. It also means certain cavitation when the return pumps are off (the closed loops will not get any water). In other words, it is not a good idea.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote