View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2016, 09:21 AM   #2585
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
As I understand it, the red slime is not the actual cyano. It's a biproduct they make when they reach a critical mass.

I can't explain cyano or red slime either except that they can be extremely localized. My suspicion is that there's a local die off that they're feeding on. Not enough to impact overall water parameters to be off, but enough that they can feed and grow in place until all the dead material is consumed. Unfortunately, if their biproduct is toxic, they can create a localized zone that's inhospitable to anything else. As they kill more, the bubble grows... Like a bacterial infection on necrotic tissue spreading to nearby living issue and killing it.

I can't explain it but my dinos and cyano seem to be linked too.
Interesting. I still have a tiny bit of cyano in very obscure spots. I'm used to it and never touch it.

Like my return pipe usually the tip that's in the water is covered in cyano. I actually like iti better then the white of the pipe so never bother to clean it off. However, another side note since switching to that vodka/vinegar mix it has died back and all my rocks and sand is visually "whiter" then ever before. This switch over just recently happened so has nothing to do with the dinos decline and disappearance.

post 304
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...408985&page=13

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote