View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2014, 04:40 AM   #529
karimwassef
Registered Member

My takeaway is that the protozoan environment is a whole ecosystem that I invited into my reef tank to help feed my corals in the belief that it would represent a healthy natural biological agent.

I intentionally did not skim at night. I intentionally removed all physical filtration (no socks or sponges), and I intentionally avoided UV, ozone or other oxidizing agents that could hurt the planktonic stages.

I have to admit that I naively thought the good guys would win in a closed ecosystem where I didn't control the rules of engagement. Unfortunately, the bad guys were more adept here.

The answer is to nuke the protozoan ecology or help the good guys reclaim the space.

My fast answer is to kill all and then reseed. UV + peroxide + ozone.

It's a disease, not algae or a chemical imbalance or nutrient excess. So, it needs hard medicine, not lower nutrients and water changes.

Once it's 'sterile', I'll look at adding live rock and re-establishing a healthy bio fauna.

Speaking of diseases, copper kills protozoans but kills reefs too - I think some study here would be useful... Silver? Other metals?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote