View Single Post
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:25 AM   #716
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
Nice! BRS really does seem like a quality co.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yes BRS is most definitely a quality company!

On to my tank.

Went for a drive to Vestal to pick up some LR from a guy who was tearing down his tank. Got it for a song really(2 bucks a pound), along with a few hermits, a fighting conch, and some larger nassarius snails. Decent quality LR thats been in a tank for about 6 years and full of life. I'm not super happy as I was told he had a mix of pukani, tonga shelve and base rock, but it is what it is and it's in better shape then my algae ridden pukani. 90% of it was just plain base rock so grabbed a few chunks of it and a few others that look interesting. Got 40# of arogonite dry reef sand and 20# of fiji pink( I really like the looks of fine sugar sand, but hate that it blows all over).

I currently have a regular 40G sitting on my fish room floor with the rock I just bought sitting in it with a PH and heater. My action plan consists of any of the pukani in my tank I'm going to keep will go in the 40 with my fish. Place the rest of the rock in a brute tub and acid wash it, treat again with LC, bust a good portion of it into rubble, cure it, throw it in the sump. Then empty the tank, throw out the sand, clean tank, resetup.

Any of the pukani I don't use in the DT I think I'm going to bust up and throw in my sump. Since I took out the marine pure, my pod population seems to be on the decline(wrasse and mandy look a little thin) as there is nothing in my fuge section of the sump. Some nice LR rubble will add to the filtration and be a safe haven for pods.

Since the tank will be empty there are a few things I've been wanting to fix but could not do with a full tank.

I was originally thinking I could do this over the course of a few days and just leave my fish and corals in the 40 with my ATI over it. But that is not going to happen as I don't think its a very sustainable plan. Instead I think I can get it all accomplished and resetup in 2 days or less.

I'm planning on 0 cycle with all LR, but thinking I may get a small cycle with the mix of dry/live sand. I will of course test the biofilter before putting anything back into the tank.

Fingers crossed this solves my issues with this tank. If it doesn't, by this time next year I may just throw in the towel as I do not enjoy the tank anymore and just see it as more work when I get home from work.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote